Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Vaulting ambition



Today is the first day of week 9. Counting this week, we have two more weeks of instruction and a week of finals before many of you take off for vacation, prepare for more classes during the summer, and get ready to transfer into the workforce or to a university. As the term winds down students are facing the mounting pressures of finishing class assignments and projects, studying for exams, and preparing for finals. Tutors have the added burden of assisting struggling students as they work to finish their own projects and do their own studying. The beautiful weather helps little, as bright sunny days and warm breezes are big distractions when intense studying and hard work is required for success.

I encourage everyone to concentrate on time management and putting the few days that remain in this term to good use. 



Please keep the following dates in mind.

Wednesday, May 28th at 3pm: Outstanding Student Reception in Jacoby Auditorium. Several students from across campus will be presented with the Outstanding Student Award in recognition for their hard work and commitment to UCC. Among the recipients will be our own Rebecca Foster, Ian Founds, Tyler Cheek, and Graham Founds. In addition Robert Lee, a frequent visitor to the Success Center and friend to many, will be awarded.  

Friday, May 30th 12:00 pm – 5:00 p: Spring Fever party in the common areas in the center of campus. There will be food, music, a bouncy house, water fights . . .  need there be an excuse to party?

Friday, June 6th at 3:30 pm: CRLA / 1000 student celebration in the Success Center. The Success Center has seen over 1000 student visits this term so far. To celebrate this and acknowledge all your hard work in helping our students, there will be a pizza party instead of the regular Friday meeting. We will also be presenting tutors with the CRLA certifications that they have earned to date.

June 9-13th: Finals week.

Friday, June 13th at 6:00 pm: UCC’s 50th commencement ceremony. Please join the faculty and staff in congratulating the students who are celebrating their graduation from UCC. At least three Success Center tutors will be graduating this spring, and this is a fine time to congratulate them and show support for your fellow team members. In addition, many students who have utilized out services will be graduating and cheering them on will be a wonderful way to show our pride in their accomplishments.

I also want to remind everyone of some housekeeping issues that need to be addressed.

The ESB writing Lab: writing instructor Brent Lewis hosts a writing lab in the Success Center from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm Monday through Thursday. This is an ideal resource for any student who needs writing help or guidance.

Weekly Reflection: Weekly reflection forms will be sent out Friday and will be due the following Friday. Returning these via Email or via hard copy is fine, but they must be returned to Daniel by the Friday due date. Daniel will be scheduling one-on-one meetings with all tutors, however it up to all employees to approach Daniel and let him know your availability for these meetings.

Emotional Bank Account forms: These are being turned in with some regularity, which is a very good thing. There have been some comments that when tutors are thinking back on the day’s interactions, it’s hard for them to remember details. I would encourage people who are experiencing these difficulties to take notes throughout the day of their interactions with other students so that they are better prepared to bank account forms.

Summer availability: Please Email Daniel and let him know if you will be available to tutor during the summer or fall term. He doesn’t need your exact schedule right now, but just a general idea of your availability status. Due to schedules changing near the beginning of each term, the final schedules will likely be ready during the first week of term. Remember that the entire UCC campus is closed on Fridays during the summer.

I would also like to remind everyone that we as a team need to take pride in our center. If there is any downtime while you are on shift, keep an eye out for chairs that need to be pushed in, coffee that needs to be made, or errant papers left behind on the tables or at the computer stations. Taking a moment to keep the center organized and ready for students is very important in welcoming visitors.

I want to thank each and every one of you for your dedication to UCC, its students, and their success in college. The increase we’ve seen in the number of student visits this term is evidence that our services are not only needed but appreciated.


“I have no spur
To prick the sides of my intent, but only
Vaulting ambition, which o'erleaps itself,
And falls on th'other. . . .”

Macbeth, Macbeth. Act 1, scene 7. 25–28

 So, what are you ambitious about as this term comes to a close?

14 comments:

  1. I'm ambitious about learning more about the tutoring process, so that I can be the best tutor possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!! I am definitely feeling the pressure that comes at the end of each term.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second that, Graham! I cannot believe how quick this term went, but I am definitely ready for the break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm ambitious about helping students gain a better understanding of math as the term comes to a close. Also, I like the Calvin and Hobbs comic

    ReplyDelete
  5. The end of the term came so quickly! It is quite astonishing... All in all, it has been a great term, and its time to buckle down for the final stretch, good luck everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to make sure I keep up in my classes, sometime one feels like slacking when the term comes to an end, so I am doing my best to avoid that.

    I just remembered I am going to be out of town on the sixth, I am going to miss out on all the pizza shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel too bad on missing out, our pizza day food fights can get pretty epic.

      Delete
  7. It has been a great year at the success center and I am thankful to be part of the team. I understand the stress of the end of the term and the excitement of graduation. Looking forward to Spring Fever and the warm weather of summer. I will miss all the great tutors and students that I have gotten to know, but excited for them to move on to the next stage of their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This year has been a great experience for me and I am happy I have met all of the people I've met, good luck and bon voyage to all of those who will be graduating and transferring to a university!

    It is now time to give the final push, I hope everybody's enjoying the weather and keeping on top of those last projects, papers and exams.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am ambitious about feeling like i have accomplished something with all of my classes (considering they are just prerequisites)
    Kasey Barrackman

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats everyone on a successful year! I will be graduating this June, but I wanted to thank everyone for the kindness and enthusiasm I have received since I started tutoring this year. I have had a lot of fun and know that the skills I have learned will continue with my to OSU this Fall. I am very ambitious and a little nervous to move to a new city and to a new school. But in the end, everything will work out. Good luck to everyone on their future endeavors and have an awesome Summer break!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. again congrats to all and your dedication to all we do at UCC. great and surprising that this turn is practically over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hit the blogs so late. Around week 9 I was ambitious about getting all of my homework done so that I only had to focus on studying for my finals.

    I'm liking the Calvin & Hobbes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to the 2014 graduates! You made it! Although I did not attend UCC, I went to the Woolley Center which is the HSD or GED through UCC. I am so glad I met the people I did, and was given the opportunities I was given.

    ReplyDelete