Sunday, August 24, 2014

No way through it but to do it.



Who does one give credit to for their success?

This blog is for the Success Center. . .  but since this is the last week of summer term and there is nothing of note going on, I’m going to hijack it for a bit and give credit where credit is due.

Without UCC, I may have very well been one of the guys in this song:






But I’m not. No installing appliances for me. UCC has been my home for the past three years, and this week I’ll be leaving. My success came from the help of many; however there are a few that deserve special recognition.

Amy Fair: our distinguished English instructor, who . . . uh . . . encouraged (yes, that'll do) me to become a tutor two years ago. Without her rather forceful insistence I wouldn’t be where I am today. I owe a very large part of my success to her.

Charles Young: taught me the importance of believing in something with true passion. In his classes I discovered just how much of an influence a good instructor can be to overall success of students. His energy and enthusiasm in class is unmatched by anyone else I’ve met on this campus, and that exuberance influenced more than a few of his students.    

Daniel Bates: well, duh. I mean, here is a guy who was but a humble student, and with the arrival of Terrance was elevated to the position of… well, still a humble student. But a student who, in his new position, managed to bring together a fairly diverse and uncoordinated group of tutors and shape them into the shining example of perfection we are today.

Terrance Bradford: brought to the tutoring center new energy, new light, new ideas, new life. Without his guidance we would not be where we are today. Where we are today is a very good thing for so many of us. We have all benefited from our time in the tutoring center and many, if not most of these benefits would not have been realized had Terrance not been at the helm.

All of you reading this: Sounds corny, but I truly have learned a great deal from my fellow tutors in the Success Center. Some people have caused me great pain and anger, some have allowed me to see things in a new, more positive light. In both instances and in innumerable ones in between I have learned so much. This team has shown me just how much good a dedicated group of people can do.

And finally…

Ali Mageehon: our one-of-a-kind dean. I can’t imagine having that kind of responsibility, and am so thankful the one that has taken the role is such a wonderful person. Students come into our center needing guidance and assistance, and receive the help that they need. Ali is responsible for providing the pathway for so much of that success, and does it all with immense compassion and unrelenting heart. Ali’s efforts hit close to home for me: a ninth-grade dropout, I returned to UCC with few skills needed to help me succeed. I utilized the Success Center long before I became a tutor, and without it I surely would have failed and become another dropout statistic. Instead, I graduated UCC with an admirable GPA and I’m off to the big city to study for a STEM degree. Thank you, Ali, so very much for helping make that possible.


So my fellow tutors, with tears in my eyes I bid you all farewell. Whatever you do in life, make sure your reach exceeds your grasp.

And Ali, this is why I’m so glad you’re here. I used to be could have been this guy.



 Nathan Anderson

10 comments:

  1. Nathan, you are a wonderful tutor, and an overall great guy! You will be missed in the Success Center.

    Like Nathan, we all owe some credit to others regarding our own personal success in life.

    Mary Stinnett: She is an inspiration to me. She was my first Math teacher here at UCC. I tested in to Math 95, and after the first week, I was feeling overwhelmed by all of the new information, so she met with me and discussed dropping down to Math 60. This was probably the best thing I could have done at the time! She encouraged me to bring my daughter to class which further inspired me to change my major to education,

    Amy Fair: She has been a very inspirational person in my career here in the Success Center, she encouraged me to help others in class, and is always pushing her students to go above and beyond their "comfort zone"

    All of the tutors: We have all, at some point in time, asked another tutor for help. I can honestly say, this helps us all! I know that we all have a different approach with students, and sometimes another perspective is all we need! Thank you all for allowing time to help each other!!

    I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the Summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big thanks to the work you have put in to this blog! Seems like as I got here, people are leaving! :( Yet another gone but gone to another road of success! Much appreciation to everyone in the Success Center! Everyone has been hard at work and have been a big help to UCC. Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all the help that you have put into the Success Center over the past years. I have only works here a few months but I have seen you be very helpful and take control of the blog. I'm sad to see one go, but I'm happy that you are continuing to study for your degree. I wish you good luck in your studies, and in your future in general.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Nathan and I hope that things go well for you in your studies.
    Kudos to all at the Success Center-Thank you for being such great people and dedicated to learning and success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, know that you will be missed here. I have enjoyed reading what you have shared with us in these weekly blogs, and I am glad to see you will be moving on to bigger and better things with your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is Jacob l. I am sad to see you and others to leave us but am glad that you will be continuing your road to success. I wish you all success as you continue down this road. thanks for your help. I would like your contact information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may not have been working in the success center for very long but I do know I have witnessed many people leave this place satisfied thanks to all of you. Not only do the students appreciate your help, me as an assistant want to thank you for taking your time to help others. It brings joy to me to see others happy and succeeding with their goals with the help of you tutors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For those that are leaving, it will be sad to see you go, and you shall be missed. Good luck in all of your future ventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will be missed Nathan. I am grateful to have gotten to know you as well as many of the other tutors, students, teachers, and staff. I have been here for a long time and seen people go time and time again, but it never gets easier. I feel a piece of my heart is missing by saying good-bye, but beyond my pain is a bright new future for someone and that makes up for any personal discomfort. Good luck to all the tutors and students, it's been GREAT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Nathan, and good luck with your future plans! This was also my last term at UCC and I feel the same way about all of you. It was a pleasure working around such an uplifting group of people! I wish you all the best in your future experiences, as tutors, students and everything else you are going to be! The success center has been an amazing place to work with students and I am so glad that I got to experience it with all of you. Thanks for the welcoming atmosphere, I'll miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete