Monday, July 28, 2014

One person can do so much!



Notebook in hand I compose this as I sit in the shade of a cottonwood tree on the banks of the Umpqua River, my eyes slowly taking in the sandbars and berry thickets that I ran through endlessly as a boy. Every summer of my childhood was spent in this small bastion of paradise, whiling away my days as only a lazy child unencumbered with responsibility can. Now, many years and many experiences later, as I sit in the fluttering shade provided by the tree’s canopy, my gaze moves up to take in the familiar expanse of sky I know so well. Clouds of mauve and magenta slowly move eastward as the sun sinks behind the hills of the Callahans. The recent deliciously clear weather exhibits uncommon perfection for July and I cannot help but wonder if this burst of exuberance is for me specifically, as I struggle with issues both abstract and particular. These beautiful evenings of lavender and soft breezes filled with birdsong are, I hope, a harbinger of better things to come.

It was like this many years ago, a lifetime it seems like today. Sitting on a bench in a public park watching my two children run and laugh and yell and argue, I slowly traced the edges of the letter I had received in that day’s post. My only source of income had, with the delivery of this letter, ceased. I was too numb to be angry, too hurt to question those who made a decision that has the immediate effect of preventing me from buying groceries for my kids.

As we walked home, my children oblivious to my discomfort, I asked myself how I had gotten myself into this situation. Like so many others, my job had vanished in 2008, when the Age of Grace was replaced by the Era of Efficiency.  That night I walked to my neighbor’s house and begged a loaf of bread and some peanut butter—sustenance. Returning home, I got down to the task of figuring out my future. Income was paramount. I took temp jobs and jobs that that I never would have thought myself in need of. At one point I took a job digging ditches by hand. Cold, standing in the rain with a shovel and a wheelbarrow, covered in mud and leaves, I dug ditches for a man who had waited years to grace his property with proper drainage and fencing and thus it was an overgrown nightmare of weeds and blackberries.

For such work I earned minimum wage.

It was this experience that prompted me to return to school. Armed with nothing more than a 9th grade education and the desire not to be a laborer the rest of my existence, I walked into the admissions office here at UCC and walked out with the means to procure an education. I had no idea what to expect, but I knew I had no choice but to succeed.

My first class that fall was Spanish. My father is a native of L.A. and I grew up friends with migrant farm workers, so with the irrational enthusiasm of a freshly converted believer I assumed that Spanish would be a cakewalk for me; that it would be nothing more than filling the gaps of what I already knew. Having little formal education and my career having been inadequately restricted to a narrow stratum of the workforce, I had limited experience in the workings of the real world. I considered myself honest and often mistook insensitive callousness for frankness, even when justifying my own actions to myself. Thus my decision to study Spanish.

I walked out of that first class deeply wounded by my collision with reality. As I shuffled across campus I became aware that I lacked the very foundational pieces of academic experience, solicitude, wisdom, perception, and inspiration. Without these foundations success would be something unshared by me or to me in my short academic career.

I realized that I would not be able to do this alone. With limited enthusiasm and much trepidation I made way to the tutoring center to inquire of their services. To my delight I discovered that they were free and available to all students who needed assistance.    

I utilized the help of three different Spanish tutors that first shaky year. On an almost daily basis I would arrive in the cramped tutoring area, shed my coat and rucksack, and try to work on whatever bit of Spanish minutiae was assigned that week. The wonderful tutors were always ready to assist me with whatever I was struggling with. Without their guidance, assistance, encouragement, and support I would not have been able to complete my courses and indeed likely would not have graduated.

Later, when I became a tutor myself, I realized just how difficult such a task really was—and how rewarding.

Our experiences in school are unique; they are largely what we make them. So many students have faced these trials and have succeeded in conquering their fears and doubts and gone on to successful university careers or entered the workforce. Others face these trials and suffer agonizing defeat. This is one reason that the CSM program is so important: it gives students the tools needed to build their confidence and overcome their hurdles. People who are returning to school after a long hiatus are at a particular disadvantage, as years of being in the workforce have eroded some of the skills needed to succeed in college.  

We must do everything in our collective power not to let defeat win, no manner what form it chooses to take. 


—N.



15 comments:

  1. Loved the story. Very catching to read. Its hard to see people go into a slump like that. But seeing people overcome the bad little things and turn out to be something so much more is amazing. I can understand how times get hard and you are just at a point where you dont know what to do, only thing you really have to do though is be you and do what it takes to be where you want to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can also partly understand and get what you are saying mike. IT is important to just do your best and find out for yourself who you really are. It is an inspirational story almost a true fable. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though on the outside I was "Little Miss Good Girl" (student with high grades, well behaved,
    involved in school class clubs, and adored by the teachers), I struggled with doubts, anxiety,
    confidence issues, and a wired brain that just couldn't relax. I also was an outsider as well.
    After years of trying to be close friends with my classmates, I finally realized that I would
    never fit within their group, so I decided on bettering myself---I focused on academics.
    Classmates thought that I was effortless in work. They didn't know how hard I had to work
    to do well. Even being whip-smart, I had to work hard. That work ethic paid off in college and
    in online classes at university.

    I navigated high school basically as a lone wolf, doing what I wanted to do, not what classmates
    wanted me to do. I worked very hard at school. As a result, I not only got good grades, but eventually earned many scholarships so that I was able to pay for Umpqua Community College and
    Eastern Oregon University.

    Being a lone wolf also forced me to advocate for myself---I didn't have friends to help me at that.

    So as awful as it was to struggle with anxiety, doubts, and a wired mind, I also learned about traits
    such as compassion, hard work, and the importance of standing up for yourself.

    I finished the CSM course, and it's a nice thing that I can add to my resume.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a very good story that you decided to share with us. It helps show that no matter what you situation might be, if you try hard enough you can better yourself and the people around you. It is a very inspirational story and thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading this, Nathan. Like we talked about before I would love to see an "edition" of the blog done where some of our tutors and assistants would speak about their experiences with college. We could do it as an adult learner segment or something. I also see the reflection of diversity and transitioning shining through.

    Great post! What a wonderful experience Success Center has been for so many students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really great post. I like that you can talk about the difficulties that you faced and the experiences that led to you choosing to go back to school. This is such a real thing for so many people and I don't think a lot of people realize it, because they feel so alone during those times. I'm guilty myself of feeling like I am all alone during my struggles like this, and I know I am not. Deciding to become a full-time student was a difficult decision on it's own. I have recently added to the mix trying to find a job that would allow me to survive as I continue my studies. This has not been easy at all. So far, this summer, I have been turned down from at least 20 different positions. Even some simpler ones, like operating a cash register at a position I had previously worked in for 2 years. I quit counting after 20 because that numbness that came with every new turn-down email or phone call was too much to handle. It makes you feel incompetent and weak, even though you know you aren't. Anyway, back to the point. Being in school is difficult for a variety of reasons. Whether it be having a difficult time with your classes.. or adding to the mix that you cannot get anybody to hire you or lose your job because you are a full-time student. The difficulty can follow you home as you wonder how you are going to feed your children, get back to school and even if you are going to have a place to call home the next day. All in all, things can get very difficult. So difficult that giving in to the defeat you feel sometimes seems like the only option left. But it isn't. It is hard for students to realize sometimes that going to school is a great thing. Even though the struggles can be so hard while you are here, the light at the end of the tunnel (the career, new opportunities, etc.) is probably going to be worth all the hard comings you face.
    I like the last sentence you wrote, those are very good words to try and live by. I hope I can remember to try and live by them myself, also to try and inspire all of the students I come across with those thoughts in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it is great to get to know more about the experiences of some of the faces we work with. Everyone comes from different walks of life and this is a reminder of that and how crucial our team is to some of of the students who come to this campus with the will, but not necessarily the tools to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very powerful, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post Nathan. I realize that each and everyone of us come to points in our lives from many different places, times, and experiences. Everyone has a unique story and individual successes and difficulties. I really like the picture you posted, what a soothing and reassuring thought to know that someone is there to help you. I have seen my share of ups and downs, but I have learned never to give up hope. Sometime when you run into what seems like walls, don't give up, keep asking question, ask everyone and ask them for others to ask, there are lots of resources whether it be school or many other aspects in our lives. Try to remain composed and don't treat people badly. Kindness and sincerity will get you way further than the other option which will get doors slammed in your face. But, if there is a door that is absolutely shut, keep the faith and another door will open. You will probably learn that the open door is much better than the one that was shut.
    I take my job very seriously and I am very proud be be able to help students succeed in ways that I am able.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the picture at the end :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized that the guy in the pic is apparently wearing Birkenstocks. Who goes mountain climbing in sandals??

      Delete
  11. ... also, too bad it's hard to get a job in writing, you do it well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The important part to realize, is that needing help does not make you weak. However, understanding when you need help, and getting the help you need, will make you stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing story Nathan! I love the way your blog posts give such meaning and depth to the stories that you share with us!

    ReplyDelete